Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cover Letters... and... stuff.

Do you really read them? I don't. Why? I typical get a few thousand resumes for a job post.

I'm applying for me own gigs now, and I'm not writing cover letters for them, because I'm wondering what's the use. Why should I take the time if I'm 90% sure that the reader isn't even going to look at it?

Can you talk me into the virtues of a cover letter? HR people, do you remember a kick-ass cover letter?

While you're thinking about the, here are some fun links...

The 6 Most Horrific Bosses of All Time


17 Terrible Jobs We'll In The Future

2 comments:

HR Underling said...

Cover letters are annoying, and what is even more annoying are "follow ups" Grrrrrr. Don't call us we will call you. I mean really, how often do you get a follow up and go "OH Damn! I forgot about this prefect applicant! I am so glad that they followed up!"

Christy W. said...

I don't read cover letters in the first cut, but I do read them in the second or third or when trying take the pool from 10 resumes to 5 actual interviews. Attach a cover letter even if it's just perfunctory and especially if the ad calls for it. Consider it an obligatory writing sample :b

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner