Wednesday, August 26, 2009

If you haven't figured it out yet...

... I'm a bit arrogant. Not in every set of circumstance, but I am at work. I know I'm smarter than 90% of my employee base (I think I'm an "education-ist". Is that possible? I know I treat more educated employees better than not-as-much. I think that's because the problems that the educated employees have are logical problems that they've tried to work for themselves first before seeing me. Un-educated employees I treat the way they treat me: hostile, angry, and like I deserve to have my a$$ kicked). I worked hard to get into HR and do what I do. And I've figured out a lot of things about my employees. No, not all employees. But most of them.

Most of my employees...

... if given the choice between doing something new, doing something they've always done, or do nothing, will out for one of the last two.

... if fired, don't rebound well. A fast-food restaurant couldn't put up with one former employee's BS. I found this fascinating and vindicating for when we bounced him.

... would punch our head of operations in the face if given the option.

... still find ways to keep in touch and irritate me even long after they've gone.

... don't see the future, and that saddens me. They don't think about the next day, or week, or month, or year, or what they want to be later in life. They don't work toward anything. I've never had a single employee ask me what they could do to advance at DeltaHouse. Meanwhile, I'm looking for any way to get out the door.

... will see me as a disloyal a$$hole for leaving DeltaHouse.

... think that a computer is still new technology and something to be feared.

... probably haven't even heard of a blog, let alone figure out I'm writing one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just realized that my husband should start writing a blog so he can vent...he could be the Venting IT Guy... and I believe many of his stories could compare in ways to yours! Does it help? Or after blogging do you still hate your job and the idiots you have to deal with so much you want to punch someone in the throat??

Michelle said...

VHRG - I often read your posts with a sense of nostalgia. I've been where you are. As a younger HR pro I was often frustrated by many of the things that seem to drive you crazy. Over the years I have changed companies (and that helped) and grown up a lot. I now find I am much more tolerant and empathetic than I was in my youth. It seems like you are in a bad place right now, but I hope you someday realize it isn't all because of Delta House and the characters you have there. The reality is even in the best organizations you will experience these types of people. Over time I really do hope you learn how to effectively manage how you respond to incompetence because no matter where you go or what you do, their will be incompetent people. Your job is to help them and help your company. Good luck.

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner