Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Quickie Post Tonight

I was reading a book that made the point about people who want to have a career that sounds good or interesting or different (i.e. artist, writer, chef, athlete, etc.). And how there are a finite amount of people in the world that actually make a living off of such a craft. Heck, I'm a writer - an above-average writer, not really a good writer - and I don't make anything off the blog. Although I'm open to ideas.

I guess my point is that no kid ever says, "I want to be an HR person when I grow up!" Things kids probably say that they want to be when they get older: police officer, firefighter, pro athlete, artist, journalist, President of the US, doctor, judge, lawyer (that could be a reach), chef. Things kids don't say: HR person, accounting work, computer programmer, purchasing, office manager, call center manager/rep, etc.

1 comment:

Ben Eubanks said...

My story is a fairly simple one. I worked with my parents in their small business for years while I was growing up. I always saw their challenges in hiring, compensating, and retaining qualified individuals. So when I went to college, I figured I'd study management. Imagine my surprise when I found out that there actually was a job that allowed you to solve those sorts of problems within a company? Wow! Thus my love of HR was born. :-)

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner