Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Why can't we...?

Going off of yesterday's post I kept thinking about this idea of being more honest and less nice. Why can't we? Why can't we as HR people be truthful?

When I was in college, my friends used to take every decline letter that I received (and I literally covered one wall in my apartment with decline letters) and "interpret them" for me. So if a letter said, "We truly enjoyed meeting you. However, at this time we have made the decision to pursue other candidates." My friends would write, "We truly enjoyed meeting you (we needed a candidate to laugh at to break up a day of monotony). However, at the times we have made the decision to (find people who don't suck at life. Please work anywhere else. Preferably a place that involves you not working near our employees that might get dumber from being near you.)."

Believe it or not, if I got a decline letter like that, I'd be psyched. HONESTY! Thank you for telling me that I didn't meet your standard. Thank you for telling me what I lacked in a candidate that you were wanting.

Why can't we do this with our candidates or employees?

I have an employee, Angry, that calls me three times a week to yell at me about insurance. Why do I not say to him, "Angry, I'm going to hang out the phone, feel free to call me back when you are calm and want to have a respectful, calm conversation like a mature adult with decency?" Why shouldn't I do that? Why should I take the yelling from this guy?

Why can't I say to the employee, "the reason you didn't get the promotion is because we tested you, and the test said you weren't smart enough to handle the work necessary for the position?" Or "your reputation as a lazy employee prohibited you from getting this job?"

Why can't you to the candidate, "the reason I'm not going to select you for the interview is because every day at 10:20am you call to ask me if I've received your resume. And frankly, I think meeting you would be obnoxious and irritating?"

Why is lying necessary? Or being less than 100% honest? Why provide false hope? Why not just say it?

Yes, you'll insult people. But is it insulting if it is honest?

No comments:

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner