Thursday, November 5, 2009

How long is too long?

I play volleyball with someone who said that she spent too much time (11 years) at her first employer. She's been at her current employer for four years. And she said that 11 years was too long to stay at the first job. And I agree with that (that did sound a little over forever for a first job). But I'm wondering what that number is?

What's the threshold for being at an employer too long?

And what are the signs that the job you are in is the job that you should stay with for a while?

5 comments:

Ben Eubanks said...

I understand loving your job, but for some reason I look down on people for staying at a job for more than a few years. The main question I'd ask is "are you growing professionally?"

If so, then it's okay to stay. If you're stagnating, get out while you still can!

Anonymous said...

How long is too long? It depends on the person and how they define success. If you want to advance, more than a few years in a job is too long. But if you are happy, enjoy what you are doing and fine the work rewarding that you should stay where you are.

The Team*** said...

if its a job - never too long if your paid at least market value and like what you do. if its a career then 5-7 yrs, unless your getting promoted at 3 yr intervals (meaning if your rising thru the co. then stick around till you plateau)...
M

Bonita Martin said...

One of the best pieces of career advice that I was given was that you are either in or out at 10 yrs (I was approaching 10 at my first company). I got out and it was the best career decision that I've made. I feel a post coming from this great question....

Bridget said...

4 years 7 months and 9 days

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner